Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Tig welding sheetmetal my new addiction
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tig welding sheetmetal my new addiction

Tig welding sheetmetal my new addiction

I just wanted to share why I enjoy tig welding sheetmetal. I hope its cool to post it here.

Bondo, bondo, bondo.

This is what was under all that bondo

This is what I had to cut away. Yikes

Yeah thats another fender in that background covered in bondo also.lol

I had some front fenders that I've been gutting that provided the majority of the patch panel. A little tweaking and they worked fine. That little rust spot that was left I just formed my hand.

I used a 3/32 2% ceriated tungsten and 1/16 filler rod and tried to keep the smallest HAZ I could. Tig sheetmetal is great you can see how low the bead profile is and some of the metal finishing I started. Man you can hammer and dolly that HAZ to your hearts desire.

And here it is, almost ready for primer a little more welding and hammer and dolly work to do and very little filler will be needed now.lol

BAM

My 55 Chevy Truck Project

Low and mean and keep it clean

2. Remove Advertisements
    SilveradoOwners.com
    Advertisements

Administrator & Sheet Metal Junkie Prostreet's Avatar
    Nice work Bam, I just purchased some ceraited, I've been using thoraited. I also use mig wire as a filler.
    Thanks Steve
    Pro Metal Shop
    http://prometalshop.com/
    Hot Rod Sheet Metal Fabrication and Shaping Shop.

Thanks

Yeah I met a lot of people that use mig wire for the filler its cheaper thats for sure.
    BAM

Administrator
    Great looking Metal

We love photo's and any idea's

otis

Great work with the fender and TIG Bam! love to see your stuff...very cool!

Very nice. So you are welding an open root? Do you use a copper backer bar as you are welding?

I'd like to learn TIG and have an ESAB Multi-master with scratch start TIG, so I am looking for some pointers from a pro, looks like you qualify.
    bowtier If you can't stand behind our troops, perhaps you should stand in front of them bowtier!

My 1965 C10 SWB Step Side Build Thread

Some Technical Threads I have Posted:
    Frame Mounted Gas Tank - Rear Frame Notch - Upper Shock Relocation
    Track Bars, The Long & The Short Of It
    A smart man learns from his own mistakes, a wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
    Very nice. So you are welding an open root? Do you use a copper backer bar as you are welding?

I'd like to learn TIG and have an ESAB Multi-master with scratch start TIG, so I am looking for some pointers from a pro, looks like you qualify.
    No pro here just a guy who messed up so many times its now called experience.lol

When welding tig or mig I like to have my metal slightly touching. That gap you see in the pic is the second patch just laid on top of the existing fender as I worked on fitment. Once I got the fitment right and clamped it down the fitment was better. If you look closely you can see where I had to do a relief cut to make it fit better. The patches used came from a trashed 55 front fender.

By the way, personally I never use a copper backing with a mig or tig even when filling holes. I make a small patch or plug and if the hole is really small I bridge. Its just the way I do things no right or wrong. I just been taught that way so I stick to it.
    BAM

I agree Bam, something's can get far to technical, and simple just gets the job done.
    John, a scratch start is a bit tougher to learn on, my first tig had no high frequency start.
    Thanks Steve
    Pro Metal Shop

Quote Originally Posted by Prostreet View Post
    John, a scratch start is a bit tougher to learn on, my first tig had no high frequency start.
    I have contemplated getting the upgrade kit from Esab. Thus far it's kind of been like trying to thread a needle in a dark closet

Bam, I just looked through your build thread and was amazed at the similarities of the mod's. you made to your truck bed and how I did mine.

Bam's Mini-Tubs

Lakeroadster's Mini-Tubs

Bam's Bed Rail Mod

Lakeroadster's Bed Rail Mod

Bam's Stepside

Lakeroadster's Stepside

Pretty cool similarities anim_63

I ended up widening my bed 4 inches since my truck is a '64 and the cab is wider than the stock bed.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
    I have contemplated getting the upgrade kit from Esab. Thus far it's kind of been like trying to thread a needle in a dark closet
    great analogy John I could never have described it better. Off subject, I also had a plasma cutter back in the early 80's that was some what a scratch start. And the metal had to be bare to fire it up. Don't miss those days....
    Thanks Steve
    Pro Metal Shop

12. Remove Advertisements
    SilveradoOwners.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast