Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Rebuilding the '59 front axle - any pointers?

Thread: Rebuilding the '59 front axle - any pointers?

Rebuilding the '59 front axle - any pointers?

I am rebuilding the front axle for my '55 gasser. I got it cleaned up and the spindles have a bit of play in them so I figure that I may as well rebuild them. I found an article online from Classic Truck magazine that showed how to do a '53 style and I hope that part is the same.

It looks like the hardest part will be the pin/ lots that lock the pins in. Mine won't budge.

Thanks

Mike
    Mike

'Common sense is so rare it should be a super-power'

Liberty, In God We Trust, E PLURIBUS UNUM

Hear my engine run here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDMbG7mMwW4

2. Remove Advertisements
    SilveradoOwners.com
    Advertisements

Used to change pins and bushings all the time when working for UPS.Some came right out and some took heat ,more heat ,and more heat.Used Kaiser pin kits,spiraled steel,twist in self aligning.no reaming required,worked great.Dont know if they are available for your app though

Thanks, I'll see what I can find for a kit.

I did get the spindles off tonight. The lock bolt for the king pin on the driver's side was a bear to get out. The pass side slipped out nicely, then I pressed out the pin - no problemo. The lock bolt... I had to use my torch to get it real hot then hit it with the inpact chisel. It took about 5 minutes of impact to get that one out but the hole is OK and it all looks good on the axle.

Now I need to clean everything up and drill some holes (gasser style) in the axle. Then I have to decide if I am going to paint or powder coat it. Might try powder coat chrome... Looks pretty cool.

I have a disc brake kit from C.H. Grove Streetrods - he makes it, I picked it up on Saturday at the Monroe swap meet in WA. - that uses '75 Camaro or equiv. parts and it's not supposed to increase the track width... we'll see. There is an adapter piece that has to go on the spindle that looks like the ones on the other kits that do increase the width. Chuck and his wife were nice enough and assured me that the width is the same.

I'm using the rotors and calipers from my T/A clip and am doing the B-Body spindle with 12" rotors for the GMC and I happen to have a spare set of them lying around. I'll post that on my truck thread. Going 5 on 5 and 4-wheel discs.

Mike
    Mike

Ya Mike those things can be a bear to get out,then other times they almost fall out

Bummer... axle is bent. This is the one that I picked up at a pick-n-pull. I was trying to have it rebuilt so I didn't have to have the truck and the car down at the same time. The one on the truck looks good. I didn't even think to check that out! Now I get to tear down another one... yeah.

Live n learn.

Mike
    Mike

Maybe you can find a machine shop that can straighten it for a little money, then you know its straight to begin with....

Yearsago we used Mordrop to straighten or drop axles, they have been around doing this sinse the 40`s, but sometime in the eighties it changed hands and the quality of the work went south, probably about the time everybody started selling tube axles...
    `37 Ford Coupe, 406/350/324 posi
    `64 C10, 350/350/373 posi
    `68 Dodge Dart 370/904/325 sure grip
    `69 Camaro RS/SS 350/350/307
    http://photobucket.com/R51506964

8. Remove Advertisements
    SilveradoOwners.com
    Advertisements