Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Shaping a dome

Thread: Shaping a dome

Administrator & Sheet Metal Junkie Prostreet's Avatar

Shaping a dome

Hi Folks
    I have to make some odd parts in the next up coming job. There are a few dome or raised pieces, one on the body and possibly four disc. Here's a look at what they may look like, and how I'm making them.

I started out with cutting out a 12 inch disc of 20 gauge, and marking it in one inch increments, to follow evenly.

Then I shrunk the outer edge up to the first two inch mark lightly, all the way around the outer edge. So here is what my first pass looked like.

Here you can see from the back side.

As I was doing this I got a bumped up are that made for a less then smooth transition, right along the edge of my inside shrink. This happens because the metal in front of the shrink thins out and raises.

And from the front side.

I can smooth this transition a bit now and more later as I need to. I used our small stub axle with light pressure to smooth some of the high areas.

Here are the results ! !

After I smoothed some areas lightly I checked my template and had an uneven bottom.

I just used a slapper to bring the edge down even.

That brought the edge down nicely.

I'm just outside my template, but will tackle that later on and post the finish product.

Thanks Steve
    Pro Metal Shop
    http://prometalshop.com/
    Hot Rod Sheet Metal Fabrication and Shaping Shop.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SilveradoOwners.com
    Advertisements

Your skills are truly amazing. Ever thought of moving to Colorado? You can use my unattached garage as your new shop
    bowtier If you can't stand behind our troops, perhaps you should stand in front of them bowtier!

My 1965 C10 SWB Step Side Build Thread

Some Technical Threads I have Posted:
    Frame Mounted Gas Tank - Rear Frame Notch - Upper Shock Relocation
    Track Bars, The Long & The Short Of It
    A smart man learns from his own mistakes, a wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

How about building a mobile shop that way when your done in Colorado you can swing down to Texas.lol

Administrator & Sheet Metal Junkie Prostreet's Avatar
    ROAD TRIP ! ! ! My wife would love to move south, she's not keen on the winter weather we have. Me I'm to lazy to move again. did that 30 years ago from Boston Mass. Would love to see both those states if life ever slows down...
    Im getting ready to tool up to do a one off pedal car for a collector. I may post it here so you guys can see. I was excited when this fellow approached me with the idea, and it not to far off from what we do here, only o a smaller scale. This pedal is going to be a bit long, as it will resemble a land racer. More on this as we get started..... Thanks for the comps Guys
    Thanks Steve
    Pro Metal Shop
    http://prometalshop.com/
    Hot Rod Sheet Metal Fabrication and Shaping Shop.

6. Remove Advertisements
    SilveradoOwners.com
    Advertisements