Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
question about converting to disc brakes!!!

Thread: question about converting to disc brakes!!!

question about converting to disc brakes!!!

So I HATE to do it, but i put my 65 L.C. up for sale so i could fund my 69 GMC project. I have a guy in Utah who is supposed to buy it this next week.

[IMG][/IMG]

Anyway, after the guy buys my 65, i plan on bringing my 69 back home from my dads house, and start getting her road worthy again this winter for next summer after sitting for almost 20 years.

The first thing i need to do is remove the front coils we heated up back in 85 to lower the front end, and install a new set of stock height coils, then i plan to add a set of 2" drop spindles.

My question is there rotors, calipers, and mounting brackets i can purchase from a donor truck at a junk yard, or am i just stuck buying the 500 dollar kit from LMC or somebody like that. Its not that i don't mind spending the money to up graded to disc brakes, but if i can do it cheaper my self, then i can spend the money somewhere else on the truck.

Oh Ya , it is a 69 2 wheel drive 1/2 ton truck with 6 bolt lug pattern....

Thanks

Rick

2. Remove Advertisements
    SilveradoOwners.com
    Advertisements

runem

Talking Lots of options....

You can go to a different salvage yard cross member swap with disc brakes or just ball joints out swap from later Chevys. Others will chime in with more info. I'm still learning so their info will be more valuable.

Rick, wrecking yard, items `73 to `87 GMC or Chevy caliphers, brackets, rotors, master, booster and prop valve only if needed, if your keeping the stock six lug bolt pattern, you can get new rotors from auto zone or Orielys cheaper, now there are two versions of the rotors with matching caliphers, one inch and the heavy duty one inch and a quarter, ensure you get the latter especially if your getting the parts from differant trucks, use the `73 to `87 ball joints and everything will bolt up, note all disc brakes `69 to `72 were one inch rotors for sure..in fact the is a guy parting out several trucks in Alta not to far from you, and welcome to the site......

http://www.earlyclassic.com/catalog.aspx

ECE sells spindles for $249
    `37 Ford Coupe, 406/350/324 posi
    `64 C10, 350/350/373 posi
    `68 Dodge Dart 370/904/325 sure grip
    `69 Camaro RS/SS 350/350/307
    http://photobucket.com/R51506964

Quote Originally Posted by 406Rich View Post
    Rick, wrecking yard, items `73 to `87 GMC or Chevy caliphers, brackets, rotors, master, booster and prop valve only if needed, if your keeping the stock six lug bolt pattern, you can get new rotors from auto zone or Orielys cheaper, now there are two versions of the rotors with matching caliphers, one inch and the heavy duty one inch and a quarter, ensure you get the latter especially if your getting the parts from differant trucks, use the `73 to `87 ball joints and everything will bolt up, note all disc brakes `69 to `72 were one inch rotors for sure..in fact the is a guy parting out several trucks in Alta not to far from you, and welcome to the site......

http://www.earlyclassic.com/catalog.aspx

ECE sells spindles for $249
    Thank you for the info buddy....beer

So when i upgrade to disk brakes, are the tie rods the same size, or do they step up in size also?

I will try to find the guy from Alta...

here is a pic of the old girl with the factory 396 still in her....

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Rick not sure on the tie rod end size on what year they changed, they do have the adapter link, to connect the two differant sizes....I`ll see if I can find a part number.....
    Ah quicker solution as per the ( wild one ) you can re-use the steering linkage from the donor truck, drill two new holes to mount the idler arm to the frame and bolt the whole assembley into your truck! I did this since the steering linkage in the donor truck had been recently replaced and it is MUCH beefier than the original 1966 parts. It will bolt to the existing pitman arm. Once completed you will need to have the alignment re-done. (thanks wild one)

8. Remove Advertisements
    SilveradoOwners.com