Headlights wired to ignition

Thread: Headlights wired to ignition

Headlights wired to ignition

On my truck the headlight switch is somehow wired to the ignition. So you cant shut the truck off if the headlights are on. And the parking lights are always on when the ignition is on.
    it has electric fans for the tranny cooler and radiator that are always on with the ignition. I am an electrical guy but I have not started trying to figure it out yet. It also has a self exciting alternator anyone got any ideas about what might be going on. I ordered some led switches so I can start seperating out some of the wiring like the fan relays so I can shut them off on cold mornings.
    Regards, Kevin
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    SilveradoOwners.com
    Advertisements

Parking lamps will follow the headlamps, but some how the PO has wired things wrong, think I would start at the fuse box and start pulling fuses to see what quits working sense the lighting circut is switched, you`ll need to get a wiring schematic and a volt meter to find out where the transistion was made, you can get partial harnesses at Ecklers, Truck and Car Shop. maybe a few more out there,,,
    http://www.ecklerstrucks.com/electri...harnesses.html

Alternator you said self energizing, or you saying a one wire or three wire factory, what year truck...?
    `37 Ford Coupe, 406/350/324 posi
    `64 C10, 350/350/373 posi
    `68 Dodge Dart 370/904/325 sure grip
    `69 Camaro RS/SS 350/350/307
    http://photobucket.com/R51506964

Not knowing what year your truck is doesn't help...The wiring you show looks like the set up for all 4 beams to be on when brights are on. I would bet that's what is going on there. The PO probably got it messed up. I know those kits are not one fits all. I think I'd get a temp. switch for the trans. and wire it so it only comes on when ignition is on using a relay.
    Enjoying retirement

1979 chevy c10 wiring problem

Thanks guys, its a 1970 the two black relays are for the cooling fans. I assume the other module with 2 wire connections is a ciruit breaker. Does anyone know where the headlight switch gets it power from? Is there a fusible link somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by kingmods View Post
    Thanks guys, its a 1970 the two black relays are for the cooling fans. I assume the other module with 2 wire connections is a ciruit breaker. Does anyone know where the headlight switch gets it power from? Is there a fusible link somewhere?
    Headlite gets power thru the fuse block. you`ll need to start your search there..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    `37 Ford Coupe, 406/350/324 posi
    `64 C10, 350/350/373 posi
    `68 Dodge Dart 370/904/325 sure grip
    `69 Camaro RS/SS 350/350/307
    http://photobucket.com/R51506964

7. Remove Advertisements
    SilveradoOwners.com
    Advertisements