SBC steel vs aluminum oil pans

Thread: SBC steel vs aluminum oil pans

SBC steel vs aluminum oil pans

Had a few thoughts while surfing the web for engine accessories.

Scenario: weekend driver, car show going truck with about 400 hp. The occasional back up truck when the daily driver is down for the count.

1. steel vs aluminum oil pans

2. On aluminum pans, what is better, intenral diffuser or a windage tray.

3. Anyone ever had an aluminum pan fit right the first time it was installed?

4. Is there any good aftermarket steel pans now and days? I personally have tried the ebay stuff and also a mildon, morosso, and a few other lower brands from a local machine shop, all with some type off issue. The worse one being I had to hammer down the flanges flush because the had a pretty steep angle to them and would not sit proper on the engine block.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SilveradoOwners.com
    Advertisements

Wow! I have used both steel and aluminum pans with no issues. Only problem was with aluminum as with chrome they tend to make the engine run hotter. If your having to alter the pans I'd guess they were China as they do come needing tweeking but its no more than you would do resuing your old pan. Good luck with your choice anim_25
    Enjoying retirement

runem

Talking Aluminum pan car towed....

Model A ford with sbc & aluminum pan ran over road debris ===lost all oil, seized the engine. I had to tow that car over 60 miles to get off the turnpike. Haven't been tempted by the purty aluminum pans since. And, yes, my Nomad ran over the same stuff and was fine.

I have an alum pan on my `37 but its an old sm blk chevy unit, no issues, maybe its the install methodthats giving you grief.
    `37 Ford Coupe, 406/350/324 posi
    `64 C10, 350/350/373 posi
    `68 Dodge Dart 370/904/325 sure grip
    `69 Camaro RS/SS 350/350/307
    http://photobucket.com/R51506964

Quote Originally Posted by gilbert011 View Post
    ... 1. steel vs aluminum oil pans ...
    Steel. Less likely to leak if you do hit road trash or have an unexpected off road adventure, as discussed above by Runem. My '69 Camaro OEM pan has some battle scars from some mishaps in it's life before I got it, same with my '65 C10.

I too would like to know of a good America Made steel pan. The one I used on my Model A was Jeg's a cheap Chinese knockoff. It has a cheasy oil drain plug that uses a 3/4" socket. Probably best to start with a good Chevrolet OEM pan?
    bowtier If you can't stand behind our troops, perhaps you should stand in front of them bowtier!

My 1965 C10 SWB Step Side Build Thread

Some Technical Threads I have Posted:
    Frame Mounted Gas Tank - Rear Frame Notch - Upper Shock Relocation
    Track Bars, The Long & The Short Of It
    A smart man learns from his own mistakes, a wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Administrator
    A lot of after market chrome oil pans are just thin steel with chrome and are basically junk in my opinion.

I have used milidon over 300 dollar oil pans for clearance issues on big block and have had good steel in it.

However on my new ZZ502 that I have, needed a modified oil pan for clearance, so what I did was to notch out the original factory oil pan and then had it tig welded and I couldn't be happier.

As far as durability you can hit a metal pan with sledgehammer and it will still hold oil on most occasions, but if you hit an aluminum oil pan with a sledgehammer expect oil to start pouring out.

Otis

Steel pan.

Thanks guys for your comments. I decided steel was the best. Finally found one that work good with hardly no convincing. I should be good now.

Thanks for letting us know you found what you wanted Continued luck with your project
    Enjoying retirement

B&B performance makes good quality steel pan for relatively good price. I agree with C10 that most of those chrome pans are useless junk from china...and the same goes with cheap valve and timing covers. Good luck.

11. Remove Advertisements
    SilveradoOwners.com
    Advertisements